Popular Posts

Monday, August 9, 2010

Winning vs Losing

The Shot Taker posed a question a couple of posts back regarding winning vs losing.  Is it easier to just lose?  He asked for opinions, so here is my opinion.

Hell yes it is easier to lose, you don't have to commit yourself to any particular effort other than not winning.  I do however think that two given athletes with the same talent level that are both definitely good enough to win can have completely different approaches to winning or losing.

From my years of coaching my high school team I have had some really good players who just could not win.  They could practice well and score well and have a high level of confidence, but once a tournament started.... someone else took over their bodies.  Their body language was completely different than when they were practicing and playing well.  They sabatoged their own chance at success.  Who knows why?  Afraid to win?  Don't like pressure?  Unsure of their talent? 

I have also had kids who practiced OK, but once a tournament started, their body lanquage turned completely also... these were the "winners".  They looked forward to putting their talents on the line vs. everyone else.  They were committed to a winning effort and were willing to live with the results.  These kids also used losing as motivation to improve.

So yes, it is harder to win..... after all the odds are tremendously against you.  Only 1 person is going to win a golf tournament.  The key is being truly committed to the effort to win.  And this commitment must be genuine.  Simply saying the right words in trying to convince yourself you are ready to win doesn't cut it.

 I believe that all of my best players had one common trait.... STUBBORNNESS!  They were all somewhat difficult to deal with at times.  They did not buy in to everything just because "the coach says so".  They challenged me and I in return enjoyed the challenge.  Another interesting thing.... I am not extremely close friends with most of these past players.  We stay in contact and enjoy seeing each other, but the relationship is more "respectful" than friendly.

Coach
"The Shot Maker"

No comments:

Post a Comment