Popular Posts

Monday, April 19, 2010

On Course Golf Lesson with The Shot Taker

Hey everyone, or really just a few, since this Blog is in it's infancy. I am the coach that was referred to in the first blog. I am also best friends with "The Shot Taker". I started coaching golf in 1987, took a layoff in 1993 for a few years while my kids were in High School, then resumed again in 1999. I coach High School kids and give swing advice to young kids and adults, though I am not a PGA teaching professional. My teams have done very well, winning at the Sectional level, Regional level and advancing to the State Tournament. I was also fortunate enough to coach an individual State Champion. Coaching has been a blessing in my life!

I have learned a wealth of knowledge over the years regarding the golf swing. The High School golf season is only a few weeks long and follows nasty winter weather, so when I work with kids, I have to make changes in their swings that occur quickly, because we need the results quickly! It is this type of information I will be adding that will help you improve your game, without requiring you to spend a fortune on golf instruction that will require more time practicing than putting into actual application on the course. Face it, no one really likes to spend hours beating balls on the range. We want to do get on the course and play. Many of my golf swing tips will allow you to practice from your home and see results within a few short days without injuring your back and blistering your hands.

Now, here is what I saw while playing yesterday with The Shot Taker (TST). On the front 9, I could not help but think of how aptly he had named himself for this blog due to the number of shots he took! His back 9 got better, however he had a recurring problem with the majority of his iron shots, pulling the ball left of his target. Now playing on the course you have to figure a way on how to get it around and score. TST did this by aiming right of his target. Did it fix his problem... NO. Did it allow him to play from some fairways... YES. Now is when he can work at home in his back yard or in his house on his golf swing. He cannot keep "aiming right", the problem will only get worse.

Here is what was causing him to "pull" his golf shots and the resulting tip I gave him to work on.
TST was not rotating his left hip, causing his club to come over the top and making him hit it left of target. The free golf instruction tip I gave him was to simply practice "bumping" his left hip toward the target. I asked him to stand in his house by the bar, (I figured it would not be hard to get him to this location), assume his address position with no club, swing to the top and then begin his downswing by "bumping" his counter top with his left hip. This golf move will allow his club to properly drop in the slot and will take away the pulled shot issue.

If you guys have any questions or topics you would like me to address, let me know and I will give you some free golf tips.

Coach
"The Shot Maker"




No comments:

Post a Comment