Popular Posts

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Down Goes Frazier

Well, my training for the City Open started. And for 14 holes it went really well. Of course, per my training plan, we were walking. My brother and I were playing pretty good golf, nothing special but hitting it pretty good. Now, I’ve walked nine holes many times this year. I have never walked the full track and really didn’t think it was going to be a problem. Hey, dammit, I am not a thin guy. Think Chris Farley with a push cart. After my tee shot which was freaking RIPPED and a pretty good 3 wood, I start up the par 5 fifteenth . I notice that my legs were starting to get a little heavy and my knees were sore, but nothing crazy. Well, the farther I got up the fairway the worse I felt. After chipping up on the green, I truly felt like I was going down. My next step seemed like it would kill me. I felt like someone had filled my damn shoes with concrete. I could see the headline very clearly as my eyes slightly rolled back in my head: TST LEADS CITY; COLLAPSES ON 15 HILL.


I looked over to the 16th tee and saw that those guys hadn’t teed off yet. The group behind us hadn’t gotten up the fairway yet so I decided to do something that is embarrassing, humiliating but very necessary. I laid out my sweat soaked towel and sat down. Right there next to the green like a beached whale in San Francisco, I sat there in all my glory. My bro, now convinced my blood sugar was at an all time low, he’s diabetic so he knows this stuff, gave me his bottle of Gatorade. I had to look like a mental patient as I took a drink and had this string of Orange slobber now running down my chin. What an athlete.


I finally got my bearings and stumbled through 16 and 17 with a very weary eye on the ever growing “mountain” that the eighteen hole was looking like. I’m not going to lie, if the cart girl had come by, I would have hitched a ride with her up that damn hill. Alas, I made it. It wasn’t great, but except for not putting out, I played the entire thing. For the last 45 minutes I looked like a blob on the first episode of The Biggest Loser, but I made it.



Now, the plan this week is to walk 9 holes 3 times and will play an 18 hole round on Saturday at Fox Ridge Vincennes Golf Club.

Coach, I need you to address something in the golf tips this week. We always hear the importance of a repeatable pre-shot routine. Good players talk about visualizing the shot before you step up to hit. I cannot do this to save my life. When I start to try and visualize, it’s usually not good. I will usually have a pretty good routine at the beginning of the round but it seems to go away as the round goes on. I will love to hear your thoughts on this.

My pick for the British Open, as I stated last week is Eldrick Tiger Woods.



Until Tuesday……..SWING HARD.

The Shot Taker

No comments:

Post a Comment